Need advice from Yamaha 201/321 players

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
2bahawk

Need advice from Yamaha 201/321 players

Post by 2bahawk »

My first serious practice with my new (used) Yamaha YYB201SS did not go as well as I hoped it would. The water valve kept dripping on my left leg, and I had to reposition it several times. It has a new cork but that doesn't seem to help. The ring on the left rear of the horn, which I surmise is used for marching, kept jabbing me in my left stomach right below the ribs - not comfortable. I hit the higher notes better but had trouble with lower tones. Is there really that much of a difference in playing my small 3/4 Jupiter to the much larger Yamaha or am I just screwing it up?

What do you find is the best way to get used to a new, much different tuba? Any special drills?

Anything you might care to add would be appreciated. Nothing like getting advice and hearing comments from those who play a lot... I have been a hobbyist - a weekend player, but I will up my practice game if that is what it takes.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I was a tiny bit discouraged. Wondering if I bought the wrong horn (????)

Thanks all....

matt g

Re: Need advice from Yamaha 201/321 players

Post by matt g »

A stand might be in order. Those are long tubas.
Dillon/Walters CC (on consignment)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
2bahawk

Post by 2bahawk »

Yes, thanks... I got a stand with the tuba. I have never used one before. I am trying to figure out the best way to use it.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

I am now playing the second Yamaha 321 that I have owned. The first was purchased new from "Bloke" here on Tubaforum. It was a terrific horn that was only sold to assist a local brass band here in the city. As another poster said, these are "long tubas". Take the time to experiment to find the right height and positioning yourself that works the best. Air, air and more air makes these horns work really well and that can be said about just about every tuba (at least the ones that I play!) :laugh: Good luck!
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2bahawk

Post by 2bahawk »

Much thanks... Today I turned my chair 1/4 turn and balance my horn on the exposed corner in front of my legs. It worked well. I will still experiment with the stand. The tuba played well in both rehearsal and practice. I was very pleased. In fact, several people commented on the good bass section today following the service.
tofu

Post by tofu »

I have had a Besson New Standard which is similar in size & ergonmics for going on 40 + years and resting it on a corner of the chair at an angle is the way to go. While not one of my main horns these days it was my only horn for a good number of years and there wasn’t a chair in any of several venues it wasn’t easy to play this way. You do have to be conscious of where the bell is pointed and surfaces the sound will be bouncing off of. Also in a section in a band you likely will be sitting with horns with the bell pointing the opposite direction so it can be an aid if you have to share a stand or a hindrance if with knocking bells. I never had an issue as I was never sitting in the middle of a section.

A nice thing about a stand is you can have the bell straight up so the sound is less directional and will blend better if you are in a section of tubas. Of course with an already heavy horn and case a stand is one more thing to lug around so something to take into consideration. I remember when I started playing tuba in 7th grade. Was a big Conn 20j in a wenger stand which actually held the tuba hands free & had an attached big swivel seat. A great big wood and heavy metal contraption.

I thought playing tuba was the easiest thing because all I had to do was carry around was a mouthpiece and show up where ever the band was playing. Tuba in stand magically appeared - in band room for rehearsals - in the auditorium for concerts - in the gym for basketball games or pep rallies - at the all city band rehearsals/concerts - at the state solo contests. It never ever occurred to me how that happened when I was there. :laugh:

The band director was a clarinet playing little guy who probably weighed all of a 110lbs. A sweet guy who was really nice to me. I can only assume it must have been him and the janitors that hauled that beast around. The poor janitors must have hated that thing as tuba and stand weighed a ton and the stand being attached to seat must have been awkward as hell to haul around through doors and up stairs - especially off site. :gaah: I have found in life to appreciate the janitorial staff - they are usually a pretty good bunch.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2bahawk

Post by 2bahawk »

Tofu - it has been my experience that janitors and the secretaries in the office actually run the schools.... Be nice to them and good things happen.