music stand paint

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
arpthark

music stand paint

Post by arpthark »

I want to touch up my Manhasset. Any recommendations on paint?

Blake
YorkNumber3.0

Re: music stand paint

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
arpthark (Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:40 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Just fine if others disagree with what I perceive, but my perception is that if I can find a pretty good quality >> satin << black paint, that comes pretty close to matching the original. Satin is an amount of shine that is in between flat and gloss.

One should be careful to not confuse it with Satan, because Satan is much more troublesome than satin.

A couple of decades ago at breathtakingly wasteful local school system threw about 40 of those in the trash Dash actually into a dumpster. I fished them out, and did just a little bit of straightening and tightening, because they were all in quite good condition, spray them with Satin black and sold them to the Memphis Symphony which was needing an extra set for runouts when they already had a setup going on a stage for a concert that was the same week as a run out. A few of them had initials and stuff like F & S & B scratched into them, but I found this other aerosol product that sort of blobs over places like that and sprayed that on to them before I repainted those particular stands.

700 bucks was a pretty good haul for buying about ten cans of paint ($3 for name brand, back then) and screwing around with music stands for about three hours...
... oh yeah, I had to deliver them to their office 2 miles away.

Finally, quite a few of the rattle cans today have a nozzle which sprays in a nice fan pattern, and it's much easier to prevent runs when the can features such a nozzle.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

For most uses, I prefer the look of satin to flat. Satin has some life to it. Flat is just kind of dead.
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe I've expressed my opinions of the ruling class, their shills, and their administrators quite clearly already.

Equipment/material-wise, if they don't waste/destroy/needlessly-dispose-of perfectly-good/absolutely-repairable/better-than-new supplies, how can they POSSIBLY justify funding for purchasing more - or claim that there are dire shortages?

"Roaches check in, but they don't check out."

YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

When I called one of the stand companies (I think it was Manhasset) a decade-ish ago they recommended Rustoleum Satin Canyon Black. I used it and it looked terrific (and like new)!
These users thanked the author ParLawGod for the post:
arpthark (Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:48 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm not going to go into what I've purchased - government "surplus" - in the past at stupid-low prices (and others make a LIVING off of buying/flipping that stuff...I've hardly every bought ANYTHING that way).

If it's good enough for the reseller's end-user buyers to pay what they pay, it's STILL GOOD ENOUGH (dammit :gaah: ) for the government to keep and use.
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

I like black satin on my personal stand, since I can take my time and try to make it look really nice. When I was teaching jr. high band, every summer I had to paint/touch up about 75 Manhassets. Flat black was quick and easy and did a nice job of covering up scratches, graffiti, and love notes. (And some with my name on them that weren't love notes.)
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:51 pm) • Inkin (Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:58 am)
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Cheap flat black spray can. It will last for decades. I did all 50 stands every 2 years in my bandroom, and they always looked good.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

What about three alternating diagonal stripes of flat, satin, and gloss black?
...I sort of like diversity of paint - of course - as long as it's all black, etc...
Last edited by bloke on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well, if you're going to go that far, make it a checkerboard.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When I painted those forty or so, I went ahead and bought one of these at a place sorta like Tractor Supply...maybe Ace...??

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... al-1082769

I just shot it out of my Binks gun with the big Devilbiss compressor (and bided my time - waiting for a day that a storm was headed this way, but still well-west of Little Rock, Arkansas...strong breeze to the east, etc...

It was just a bit thick (gooky), so I thinned it with gasoline and then sprayed it on those stands.
(Again, I used a special blobby rattle-can product (first -on the stands that needed it) to cover up words/names/etc.

I moved them into the barn - tacky dry - several hours before the rain finally arrived.

When done, I cleaned out the cup with gasoline, and shot gasoline through the nozzle for twenty or thirty seconds.

Back then it was probably under $30/gal.

I took a chance on the description "low gloss"...and - yup - it was satin-ish.

I used what was left (another day) to paint an amazing (extra-heavy-duty, but - unless perused carefully - looked just like the standard-duty ones) 16-foot trailer (two axles, with electric brakes). It needed boards, wiring, paint (and brake drums), but a widow sold it to me for only $400. I've hauled some ridiculous payloads on it, including some cars that I bought out-of-state, and a huge load of logs (for blokeplace) from north-central Pennsylvania.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Got a can of Rustoleum satin Canyon Black at Wally World for about $5. Gonna wait til it's not 90 degrees or thunderstorming before applying. Thanks, @ParLawGod !
Blake
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

arpthark wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:19 pm Got a can of Rustoleum satin Canyon Black at Wally World for about $5. Gonna wait til it's not 90 degrees or thunderstorming before applying. Thanks, @ParLawGod !
Curious to hear what you think! Personally, I was very happy with the results.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Some might have noticed that I just sold my pair of Walt Johnson cases. The huge one is in really good shape but was all scratchy. I just hit it with one rattle can of gloss black today when it was really quite humid and hot, and skinned over quickly so I dragged it in the house in case it rained or something while we went into town for a few hours. It looks fine. I think it's a $6 two-in-one whatever gimmick Rustoleum stuff.
The gloss didn't blush at all, and neither did it run. I realize the topic is music stands and there seems to be some agreement with me that Satin black is possibly the most close to matching original.

I don't ever tape over the hardware on cases, I just try to stay off of it and the little bit that I get on, I just clean off with gasoline on rag.