(old) live performance of Alec Wilder's - Suite No. 1 for Horn, Tuba and Piano

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

(old) live performance of Alec Wilder's - Suite No. 1 for Horn, Tuba and Piano

Post by bloke »

I went to a top secret place on the web to have a look at "a tuba part to an orchestral piece".

While there, I found THIS (just now, uploaded by me to youtube).
I don't like my stuff (not any of it) on "the cloud", so I downloaded it and deleted it.
(When I was first subscribing to that storage site, default settings were "store everything"...
This was put there before I discovered that, and put a stop to it.
...so frankly (have forgotten about those few things there), I thought the recording was lost.

Ed Jones (Fort Worth Symphony and tuba guru at UT Arlington) had invited us to play a recital there.

- Mark Houghton (horn, Pittsburgh Symphony) - my son-in-law
- Steve Harlos (head of UNT keyboard dept, and pianist with the Dallas Symphony)
- bloke (tuba-blowin' check-chaser and horn-fixer)

It was a good performance (live acoustics only slightly boomy), and I really think you'll enjoy listening to it. :smilie8:

- Maestoso
- Peasante
- In a Jazz Manner
- Berceuse (for Carol [Phillips])
- Alla Caccia

These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 3):
hrender (Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:43 pm) • cktuba (Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:23 am) • windshieldbug (Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:08 am)

MikeMason

Re: (old) live performance of Alec Wilder's - Suite No. 1 for Horn, Tuba and Piano

Post by MikeMason »

Sounds great! Love your sound on the symphonie. I have a student doing Effie right now. Charming ,clever music. And challenging!
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
arpthark

Re: (old) live performance of Alec Wilder's - Suite No. 1 for Horn, Tuba and Piano

Post by arpthark »

"clever" = Alec Wilder in a nutshell

I very much enjoyed this performance.

My experience with this piece was when I was a senior in high school, and played it with a top notch horn player and pianist at a music camp I was at. I'd like to think I could do it a bit more justice today. "In a Jazz Manner" is a bop. Thanks for sharing!
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:46 am "clever" = Alec Wilder in a nutshell

I very much enjoyed this performance.

My experience with this piece was when I was a senior in high school, and played it with a top notch horn player and pianist at a music camp I was at. I'd like to think I could do it a bit more justice today. "In a Jazz Manner" is a bop. Thanks for sharing!
How first found out about it when I was still thinking of myself as "a guitar player who plays the tuba at school". A horn player in the youth orchestra in Memphis named Al Sweetser bought the music and showed it to me. We played through it a few times in this new vacant house (power on / unlocked window) that was next door to his in a now mature subdivision of Memphis. Now, I'll have to look through Facebook and see if that guy can be found. I haven't thought about him in forever.
...OK. I FOUND him! (the first person who exposed this piece to me - when I was c. 16 years old) :smilie8: The jobs he's had in the Dept of Defense make perfect sense. When I knew him, it was obvious that he was brilliant.
https://www.facebook.com/al.sweetser

@MikeMason
You will recall that I've said over and over again that if anything I play on that instrument sounds good, it's because of the instrument, and not because of me. It's a stupid good instrument. "No, bloke...It's always the player wh"NOT IN THIS CASE !!!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The very last chord - in the last movement is often lost, as the pianist it rushing towards it (we wrote in a fictitious ritard) and the brass players are loud.

It's actually the Jimi Hendrix "Foxy Lady" chord (dominant sharp 9). Hendrix doesn't completely flesh out the chord, but it's extremely strongly implied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8DBTPwh7Q

This Wilder Suite preceded Hendrix' "Foxy Lady" by three years.