Do they make a "tuba" chair?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
2bahawk

Do they make a "tuba" chair?

Post by 2bahawk »

So, this question came out of a point made in one of my previous discussions. Turns out turning my chair sideways gives me a tip of space to balance my horn on while playing in church. So, I wonder - does anyone make a chair that is slight,y longer than it is wide - to allow for more space. Instead of a square, the seating area would be a rectangle with the longer side being from the front to the back of the chair.

I do have a tuba stand - but that would block the isle of our small pit. Low brass sits next to an active entrance/exit. We play at he beginning and end of the service and do not stay in the pit for most of it.

What do you think?

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2bahawk

Re: Do they make a "tuba" chair?

Post by 2bahawk »

Great idea! Thanks
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I've discovered this (90-degree-rotated keyboard bench) on my own recently, but - as the cheap/soft foam rubber inside was too thick and soft - I had to take apart the particular one that I bought, toss the block of cheap (white) foam rubber in a drawer, replace it with some approx. 1/2-inch thick fairly firm rubber, and put it back together. Otherwise, I would sink down at least an inch lower than the tuba, and the previous "corner of the chair" experience (which worked out just right) didn't work out at all with that crappy foam rubber bottoming out under me but not bottoming out under the tuba.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Corollary question -- I see this stand called The Hug that is on wheels, and it's advertised as being stable and anyone can use it. However, I see no pictures of anyone using it, ever, and wonder what angles "away from vertical any of the four directions" that can be achieved with it.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:08 pm Corollary question -- I see this stand called The Hug that is on wheels, and it's advertised as being stable and anyone can use it. However, I see no pictures of anyone using it, ever, and wonder what angles "away from vertical any of the four directions" that can be achieved with it.
The pictures on their website only show side-action rotary tubas.

They show this mounted on a tripod with wheels...

GC

Post by GC »

For me the solution has been a cheap drum throne as a tuba stand. It'll work with any chair that's provided, though I occasionally have to adjust the height, and it's convenient to carry around.
Last edited by GC on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
GC

Post by GC »

Sorry, double post. SiteLock acting up. Please remove this one :smilie5:
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

One of my section mates brings his own folding wooden chair to which he has added an extension piece at the front. Another option is a full width paddle shaped flat board which is placed on the chair, one’s backside sits on the wide section and the tuba rests on the narrower section which extends beyond the front of the chair.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Alien tape?