Your Horn Haulers!?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
jonesbrass

Re: Your Horn Haulers!?

Post by jonesbrass »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

jonesbrass wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm Image

Nice and a Drive through subway to boot! I love those.
Wessex Chicago York
tubanews
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

not_a_tuba_hauler.jpeg
not_a_tuba_hauler.jpeg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 712 times
NOT gonna happen! :tuba:
Wessex Chicago York
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

jonesbrass wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm Image
The late Charlie Krause had a Goldwing that he strapped his 1291 to. As small as he was, I would have thought twice about doing such a thing.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Having owned some serious bicycles (and still have a couple of "serious" ones...including a vintage original-paint Coppi - outfitted with Campagnolo components),

I've always been interested in motorcycles...but EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends - who've had them - were all SERIOUSLY hurt (always: the fault of other motorists) on theirs.

One time - on the way to Sewanee Summer Music Festival, to drop one of my kids off there for those weeks - a group of weekend cyclists passed us on that winding mountain road - which leads to the campus. I told Mrs. bloke, "We'll end up passing them in a mile or two; they're going way too fast, and one of them is going to end up up in one of those trees or a hundred feet down that ravine." ...It was the former, luckily (probably) for the too-fast cyclist.

Even the previous owners of blokeplace spun out on their his/hers Harley's on the private road into this place...which prompted them to pave it.
jonesbrass

Your Horn Haulers!?

Post by jonesbrass »

bloke wrote:Having owned some serious bicycles (and still have a couple of "serious" ones...including a vintage original-paint Coppi - outfitted with Campagnolo components),

I've always been interested in motorcycles...but EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends - who've had them - were all SERIOUSLY hurt (always: the fault of other motorists) on theirs.

One time - on the way to Sewanee Summer Music Festival, to drop one of my kids off there for those weeks - a group of weekend cyclists passed us on that winding mountain road - which leads to the campus. I told Mrs. bloke, "We'll end up passing them in a mile or two; they're going way too fast, and one of them is going to end up up in one of those trees or a hundred feet down that ravine." ...It was the former, luckily (probably) for the too-fast cyclist.

Even the previous owners of blokeplace spun out on their his/hers Harley's on the private road into this place...which prompted them to pave it.
Thank the Lord I’ve never made an involuntary dismount from any of my motorcycles. I don’t always transport tubas by cycle, either. My other ride is a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. It’s just not as fun as my Harley.

Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
ken herrick

Post by ken herrick »

I've been meaning to post this for ages: now that I've got imgur working, here goes.

I needed a safe, secure way to get my 1241 to and from rehearsals etc. so got a heap of 3/4in marine ply
3"x1 1/2" pine hinges glue, silicon sealer and about 300 screws and came up with a strong box to mount on the 92 Toyota Hilux. 2 support points are used: the bell to bottom bow joints and the top of the upper bow. High density foam pads those points and straps hold everything firmly in place. I can even carry my seat, brief case and music stand and a gig bag inside. The folding, drop down door is weatherproof and has a staple and hasp for the padlock. No dents are able to attack the King when in this case.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

ken herrick wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:12 pm I've been meaning to post this for ages: now that I've got imgur working, here goes.

I needed a safe, secure way to get my 1241 to and from rehearsals etc. so got a heap of 3/4in marine ply
3"x1 1/2" pine hinges glue, silicon sealer and about 300 screws and came up with a strong box to mount on the 92 Toyota Hilux. 2 support points are used: the bell to bottom bow joints and the top of the upper bow. High density foam pads those points and straps hold everything firmly in place. I can even carry my seat, brief case and music stand and a gig bag inside. The folding, drop down door is weatherproof and has a staple and hasp for the padlock. No dents are able to attack the King when in this case.
Unless you have to hit the brakes really hard..yikes.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
ken herrick

Post by ken herrick »

"Unless you have to hit the brakes really hard..yikes."

That did happen a few times but with the tuba being securely strapped down it did not move. A head on wouldn't have done any damage unless the bolts holding the whole thing down to the tray sheared (unlikely) and even rolling it would have stood a fair chance of the tuba surviving. This thing was built for rough roads and probably pretty well "over engineered".
Dylan King

Post by Dylan King »

Not like I ever go anywhere, but I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent.
dp

Post by dp »

The hatchback is really handy, this is near Masonville Colorado

pfft (yes, that's for you)
donn

Post by donn »

The motorcycle is gone, the tuba is gone, but seems this photo is called for again:

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My small engine guy (from weedeaters to 4-wheelers) has a couple of BEAUTIFUL (no engines mounted on them) "mopeds" in his shop.
He didn't know how much the motors cost, but he told me they were so pretty (condition, including paint) and so inexpensive that he decided to go ahead and buy them.
With green cities causing urban traffic congestion (cars idling, and moving at lower speeds, etc.) by removing traffic lanes and creating "bike lanes" (which are always empty - at least: in Memphis) I wonder (??) if they allow mopeds (hybrid bicycles, which can be pedaled or motor-powered) in the bike lanes...

Those two were some hefty-looking bikes...I'm sure they would easily support my 220 lbs. + a 23 lb. tuba + a 7 lb. bag (a mere .125 ton :teeth: ).

Also...for some of these gigs in Memphis (where I might be a bit reluctant to leave my car outside), I could park in a better area, and bike the rest of the way...

Thinking further...Most of my tubas are worth more than most of my cars, so...
donn

Post by donn »

One of my bicycles has a motor, albeit electric. A couple HP - arguably above the legal 1HP standard in my state, but not radically different from the higher power end of the consumer stuff, and the difference is sure not discernible. There's no problem with that in a bicycle lane. A gas powered motorbike of any kind, though, is not likely to be viewed favorably.

But the thing about the motorcycle pictured above that makes it suitable for hauling a tuba is not so much the powerful motor, it's the size of the luggage rack. Like the Nihola in Snakecharmer's post, or it seems to me we've seen a 2-wheel front loader from that part of the world in a previous iteration of this story. I've carried my sousaphone in a bicycle trailer. Just like the car, the only issue is whether it will fit the cargo area.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
bloke (Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:17 pm)
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

matt g wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:23 pm I was hoping to see a mid-90s Geo Prism! :hearteyes:
We put >3,000 miles on a brand-new Geo Prizm rental in 1991 on a big loop through Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and California. Long stretches of empty Nevada highway taught us that the front end gets really light at ~105 mph (speedometer max'd out at 100, iirc). My wife (then girl friend) earned two tickets in Arizona. Friendly advice: don't pass over a double-yellow at 85 mph in front of an oncoming Gila County LEO. You wouldn't believe how fast they can whip their SUVs through a high-speed U-Turn while flipping on the lights and sirens ;-)
Was great to be young and free.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the machine.
Welcome to the Machine Cropped.jpg
Welcome to the Machine Cropped.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Just kidding. Tuba car is my stick shift 2005 Forester; both the 184 and the NStar fit nicely in the back. This is my truck etc that I took a big trip in in 2016. I got a few looks from various people at little old 67 year old me driving that thing. It was damn fun.
Attachments
truck camplite.jpg
truck camplite.jpg (185.47 KiB) Viewed 410 times
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
sdloveless (Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm)