Your Horn Haulers!?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Re: Your Horn Haulers!?

Post by Furguson11 »

Toyota Prius C

djwpe

Post by djwpe »

DandyZ629 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm
You traded a tuba...plus cash...for a 993?! Best.Trade.Ever.
That’s the best part. We both thought so. I got more value out of that tuba than I ever could have given the recent ubiquity of 6/4 BBb tubas (thanks for nothin’ Wessex), and he got a tuba he always wanted.
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

djwpe wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm
DandyZ629 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm
You traded a tuba...plus cash...for a 993?! Best.Trade.Ever.
That’s the best part. We both thought so. I got more value out of that tuba than I ever could have given the recent ubiquity of 6/4 BBb tubas (thanks for nothin’ Wessex), and he got a tuba he always wanted.
That's amazeballs. Now just hang on to that beast. Prices dipped a bit, but within 5 years...back up they go! :cheers:
Kalison DS CC
Snake Charmer

Post by Snake Charmer »

P1010387.JPG
P1010387.JPG (197.21 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Travelin`light!
The weekly trip to the music school with the 4 valve Couesnon Monopole Saxhorn and a Kemper Pedersen Bike...
These users thanked the author Snake Charmer for the post:
sdloveless (Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:19 pm)
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
hrender

Post by hrender »

Snake Charmer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am Travelin`light!
The weekly trip to the music school with the 4 valve Couesnon Monopole Saxhorn and a Kemper Pedersen Bike...
A Pedersen! They are rarely seen over here, although I have seen one in my neighborhood.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Furguson11 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:58 pm Toyota Prius C
So that's where Blackbeard's gold went! I've been looking for that.. :smilie8:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Is that the Conn sousaphone case/horn that we saw on the old site?
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 pm Any way I can get one in the U.S?
Portland, for example https://www.splendidcycles.com/products ... rgo-bikes/
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

marccromme wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm
Portland, for example https://www.splendidcycles.com/products ... rgo-bikes/
Thank you! :teeth:
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I own many bicycles, and ride them. But I learned in college that bicycles and fragile cargo don't mix well. Once, I was riding with a roll of architectural renderings (made before computers, and representing days of work) strapped sideways on the top of my backpack. I was passing a pedestrian and passed near a lamp post (you see where this is going). Next thing I knew, I was looking up at the sky, bike still strapped to my feet above me, and drawings folded and crushed. With bicycles, no matter how good one is, falls happen. (I have many other stories about that.)

Tuba players need station wagons. Unfortunately, station wagons (labeled as such) fall below the acceptable coolness threshold, so few are made. After the last time I wrinkled a bell feeding a bagged tuba through a back door opening, I bought a Subaru Outback. I could put a lot of tubas in that vehicle, but there was a choice: tubas or people? And when I started commuting 75 miles to a new office, it was just killing me. I bought a Ford Flex, which is long but not too wide. I loved it. My whole quintet could share one vehicle, including instruments. After 175,000 miles, the transmission started failing and I traded it (while it still worked well enough for the dealer to be able to auction it off) for a newer Flex. I would have still have it if Ford could have found a way to keep the sunroof from leaking. I was unwilling to tear off the headliner to fix it myself, and it seemed to me a design issue with that vehicle (my older one had not had a sunroof). So, I traded it on my current ride, a Ford Expedition EL. Yes, it's a beast. No, it is not efficient. Yes, I can carry the whole quintet plus instruments and nobody is uncomfortable. No, it is not easy to park. Yes, it has the trailer package and a 9000-pound towing limit, which is most useful for me. Yes, it has ground clearance that means I'll never again have to replace the clips that hold the lower shield on. Yes, it has 4WD so I can use it for camping--the back end is big enough for my motorhome mattress (it's big enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor). All vehicles have trade-offs, but after being initially annoyed at no longer having the Flex that I loved, I've become very happy with the beast. It's a really capable vehicle for the life we lead out here. But it doesn't get good enough mileage to be economically viable for making a living in the Freeway Philharmonic, so I don't recommend it for that.

Rick "who buys used from whatever is available on the lot at time of need, sometimes with features I don't need but can't avoid" Denney
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm slightly surprised that - from your geographic location (unless you're "the farthest guy out", maybe...) - you're expected to supply the quintet bus.

Maybe, you're less boondocksy than I thought...(??)

There's not a single (that I know of) ~working~ bowed strings instrument, brass, or woodwind player (other than myself) living in my entire county.

Currently, the brass quintet with which I seem to be working with - most of the time - is spread out as indicated below:

bloke "who spent more on the acquisition of used mower than was ever spent on the acquisition of any car...and (barely) the same maybe true for one of my tubas"
pjv

Post by pjv »

1993 Cadillac Seville
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

My quintet is based in my county, within 25 or so miles from each other. It’s not as far out as you are, or more like it’s as far but the city is bigger. But I am the farthest out.

It’s only been a couple of times when we’ve carpooled. One example was playing for a dinner party of German business people at the Metropolitan Club in DC. For what it cost to park there, sharing the ride was a no-brainer.

But carpooling a quintet is a good way to describe whether a vehicle can carry people as well as instruments.

Rick “who spends more for cars that bloke, but just as much for the tractor” Denney
JESimmons

Post by JESimmons »

I’m also a photographer who likes to go to the woods, so 4WD is helpful to me. I picked up a 2012 Toyota RAV4 4WD. With the seats down, I can pack in my 8x10 camera, tripod, bag of necessary stuff, cart for hauling it, my King 2341, my dual bass trombone case, trombone stands, tuba stand, accessories, etc. it gets about 25mpg around town, so it’s a good compromise.
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

JESimmons wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:39 am I’m also a photographer who likes to go to the woods, so 4WD is helpful to me. I picked up a 2012 Toyota RAV4 4WD. With the seats down, I can pack in my 8x10 camera, tripod, bag of necessary stuff, cart for hauling it, my King 2341, my dual bass trombone case, trombone stands, tuba stand, accessories, etc. it gets about 25mpg around town, so it’s a good compromise.
We have a RAV 4 w4WD as well. Ours may be around the same year model. If it had the USB port on the dash and the other surround sensors, I'd never consider getting rid of it. It's been a great car. I nearly know that bolt on the back door that holds the spare is liable to fail sometime though and I can watch my spare come flying off the back.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
Furguson11

Post by Furguson11 »

prairieboy1 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:46 am Is that the Conn sousaphone case/horn that we saw on the old site?
Maybe, there were a couple. I got this one from an older gentleman who played for the Iowa City Band, but could not play anymore. It was his horn in HS and he said that he saved it from being donated for bullet casings for WWII. He has a 1953 MG in his garage also.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Thanks for the reply! Those cases are just so cool! :smilie8:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
tubanews
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

tclements wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:53 pmtuba hauler
Dude....!
Wessex Chicago York
tubanews
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

harley_tuba.jpg
harley_tuba.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 746 times
tubanews wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:50 am
tclements wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:53 pmtuba hauler
Dude....!
Ok this reminds me of something. My first ever tuba lesson was with James Jenkins then principal tuba of the Alabama Symphony. I lived in Birmingham at the time, and I had a Suzuki GS500. I was in high school, and my dad had to work late that night. But I didnt want to miss my lesson. So I bungied my yamaha upright bflat cross ways (no gig bag) to the back seat of the bike, and held it with one hand while I drove the bike with one hand to James house.

And here's the fun part, it was RAINING. James probably thought I was crazy. And he was probably right. It was a great lesson. He was a great guy, and his sound was fantastic. From there I was off and running. Thankfully I made it home safe.
Wessex Chicago York